Sunday, April 5, 2009

Confused By The Twitter Craze

Okay, I’m finally going to give…What the heck is Twitter and what’s the point of it? I know that technology tends to escape us as we age but I feel as if I am already out of the loop. I’m only in my twenties. I get the whole MySpace thing, had that at one point but skipped over to Facebook. I appreciate the concept of Facebook and MySpace. They’re social networking sites where you can keep in touch with your friends, families, and coworkers. It’s also a great tool to reach out to many people at one time. You can post your opinions for a mass audience if you need to, post pictures, play games, etc.

Great. Back to my question, what is TWITTER? I have stumbled upon a twitter page (if that’s what it is called) by sheer accident once and read some twitter updates but I still don’t get it. Why would people have a page just to tell you what they’re doing at the moment? Facebook has status updates but I don’t think that’s the same thing…is it?
So what do people “Twitter” or “Twit”…?
9:00- Just got to work
10:00- Tired at work
12:00- Going to get lunch
3:00- Still at work
5:00- Leaving work
…and so on and so forth.
Maybe I’m totally off? I’m hoping I have the wrong idea because if this is what Twitter is all about, I don't get it and for lack of a better word, I find it kind of pointless. For this reason I have put off finding out what Twitter is really all about…that is until now.
Oh here we go, Wikipedia has already corrected me as I have called these status updates “Twits”, apparently they’re called Tweets?(Thanks Wiki, you're great)
Description from Twitter:

Twitter is a service for friends, family, and co–workers to communicate and stay connected through the exchange of quick, frequent answers to one simple question: What are you doing?


This next one makes me giggle!

Why? Because even basic updates are meaningful to family members, friends, or colleagues—especially when they’re timely.
Eating soup? Research shows that moms want to know.
Running late to a meeting? Your co–workers might find that useful.
Partying? Your friends may want to join you.

Aww…Mommy wants to know if you’re eating soup! lol
Here’s the real answer as to Why...
Why you ask? Let me think about it…Uhh because we are N - O - S - Y! Our society is always interested in knowing what everyone else is doing at all times. This obsession is even greater when celebs are involved. We are infatuated by it! Just think about the popularity of reality shows. Its not the shows where people are competing for something, its the reality shows that are based on a couple people, newlywed, family, random strangers just going about their everyday lives. Don’t get me wrong, I have been known to watch a few of these shows if they happppen to be on and I must admit I miighht even enjoy it…but come on, the answer is because we are NOSY! Simple as that!
Lastly, they answer the question how (how to twitter or tweet that is):

With Twitter, you can stay hyper–connected to your friends and always know what they’re doing. Or, you can stop following them any time. You can even set quiet times on Twitter so you’re not interrupted. Twitter puts you in control and becomes a modern antidote to information overload.

So now I know, unfortunately I don’t think I am signing on to this latest trend anytime soon! (Ill be straight with you, I still don't get it)

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com